Wednesday 24 October 2018

Why is depth of field affected by focal length?


As the focal length decreases, the depth of field increases as well. Why is this? I'm not so much interested in a physics lesson as I am interested in a simple, down-to-earth explanation.



Answer




Pretty sure I answered this one before but I cannot find it.



  • As focal-length gets longer, the angle of view gets smaller.

  • With a smaller angle of view, rays forming the image are closer to being parallel.

  • With less variation of angle between rays, light has to travel more before being sufficiently out of focus.


This is a little oversimplified but I hope it is easy to visualize at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...