Thursday 11 October 2018

equipment recommendation - High-end compact camera with swivel screen and running on AA batteries



I'm looking for a new compact camera that:



  1. has a swivel screen


  2. is small enough to be mountable on a small tripod and,

  3. runs on AA batteries.

  4. good flexibility


Requirement (3) stems from the fact that I may be hiking in the wild for weeks on an end, with no opportunity to change a Lithium-Ion battery. If another solution permits me to take thousands rather than hundreds photographs on full charge, I may consider that as well.


Additionally, it would be nice (but not essential) to have:



  1. the ability to handle high dynamic range

  2. a viewfinder

  3. physical buttons — I live in a cold climate, and don't like to use touch-screens



The upper price range for compact models is still good for me, and I don't mind a pricerange of €400–€800 (but I don't mind cheaper either, if still of good quality).


I've been the happy user of several models in the Canon PowerShot A series, but now my PowerShot A650 IS has died. Starting from the Wikipedia article on articulating screens, it seems requirement (3) kills of many cameras: the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS, (might also fail (2)), the Canon PowerShot G1 x, the Nixon Coolpix P7700, the Samsung EX2F... Although enough models meet requirements (1), (2), and (4), as well as the (non-essential) additional features I listed, it seems in the past 5 years, cameras have moved away from using AA batteries. What camera models still exist that meet my requirements?


very last picture


Last photograph taken with my Canon PowerShot A650 IS, taking on Christmas Day 2012 in the Caldera de Taburiente, La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...