Wednesday 10 October 2018

metering - How do I read the shutter speed from my light meter?


I'm very new to photography. I am doing objects in studio light conditions.


I have an Olympus OM-D E-M1.


I was given a Sekonic 478DR light meter.


Trying to play around with it, and I can't figure out the shutter speed. On the meter its numbers like 8-8 the second 8 being subscript but my camera shutter speeds are like 1.3, 1.6, ... 10,20,30...500, 510..


Shutter speeds at 20 is completely white and 80 is at least visible.


How do I convert the 8-8 to something I can put into the camera?


Just trying to figure it out, not trying to discuss pro and cons and/or using a meter or not using a meter.



Image for reference


Thanks



Answer



The "T" indicator means shutter speed, so it is telling you "8" which is a shutter speed of 1/8 of a second (not 8 seconds)


For an explanation of the subscript, see scottbb's answer below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...