Wednesday 17 October 2018

film - What is development by inspection (DBI) and how is it done?



While reading this answer I noticed the DBI concept.


If I understand correctly, the idea is to develop a film while being able to see the progress (and apply the fixer once you're happy with the result).



  • Is that what it means?


If so:



  • I assume you can't use the same chemicals you'd use normally, right? (I'm more interested in B/W, if it makes a difference)

  • A green filter is mentioned; is there a reason why green is used?

  • Any other relevant skills or knowledge needed to do DBI?




Answer




apply the fixer once you're happy with the result



I actually use stop bath.



I assume you can't use the same chemicals you'd use normally, right?



I followed Jeno Dulovits on this, basically using D23 diluted in half. Rodinal works quite good too, especially for the old emulsions. I know people using HC-110.



See Antec saying "High sulfite developers such as D-76 or D-23 are less efficient than developers like FG-7, Rodinal or HC-110. Any panchromatic or infrared sensitive films may be treated."



is there a reason why green is used?



Green light helps to estimate the contrast better.


A short introduction is here. You may also want to search APUG forums.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...