Sunday 19 August 2018

Why are colors different between RAW and JPEG when both are viewed in Lightroom?



Yesterday I was shooting images of trees that were wrapped in the beautiful baby lights that stores put in holidays. I noticed, when I went back home and checked my photos, that there is a slight difference in colors of the baby lights in RAW and JPG images.


I don't understand why there should be any difference. I thought that they should look the same. The colors in the RAW file of baby lights are more vivid and stronger than the colors in JPG.


I'm using a Canon Rebel T3i and the color space is AdobeRBG. I'm using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.



Answer



This likely has to do with the way the RAW is being (pre) processed and rendered in the RAW viewer. The RAW file is not simply a raster image with pre-defined color values for each pixel, so there is a wide range of ways that the file can be interpreted depending on a variety of factors, including the RAW engine powering the viewing software itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...