Wednesday 29 August 2018

landscape - Why do breathtaking views turn into "boring" photos, and how can I do better?


I recently purchased a Canon 700D with a 18-135 IS lens to get into photography. I'm trying to improve, but my photos seem 'boring'. Let me give some examples:


image1


image2


image3


I took these today. The scenery looks breath-taking when viewing it from the highway, but I utterly fail to convey that in my pictures. Any tips for a beginner? Anything you see that is obviously wrong in these photos?



Answer



You can digitally enhance your pictures by increasing the brightness and adjusting the contrast. You can also crop out any parts of the image that don't contribute to the impressive nature of it.


Take advantage of angles to convey attributes such as size and distance. Using perspective can also help liven up your images. I think the main concern is that the mountains look flat. To remedy this, choosing a new position (down off the highway) might help. If you can get the mountains to loom over the structure, it would definitely fix the flat look.


The cloudy backdrop dulls the pictures, so I suggest simply taking photos another day. Wait until it's sunny to consider taking your picture.



Expression is another key concept in photography. You can add flavor to your pictures by taking them in unusual circumstances, such as during a storm or a sunset. Capturing the mood will help increase interest.


Your pictures are great already, so don't be hard on yourself :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...