Tuesday 28 August 2018

dslr - How should I interact with a loud amateur photog when I'm making a personal audio recording of an acoustic performance?


I was at a large prestigious high school music concert this past weekend where I wanted to record the audio on a hand-held audio recorder, as my daughter was performing with one of the groups. I was quite a distance away from the performers (it was held in a large basketball arena) who were performing without amplification, so having a quiet environment around me was important to get a recording worth saving.


Unfortunately, the gentleman seated in front of me kept taking pictures with his DSLR and telephoto lens during much of the performance, probably taking 100+ pictures over the course of a 30 minute performance. This DSLR (make/model unknown) was quite noisy, both with the focusing beeps, as well as the noise of the shutter and mirror. In listening to my recording once I got home, his camera's noise was very distracting and completely ruined the recording for me as all I could focus on was the noise of his camera. All I kept hearing was several beeps of focusing, then a loud shutter/mirror click. Then a few seconds later, he'd do it all over again, or do a multi-shot burst.


Should I have said something to him while I was there, asking him to not take so many pictures due to the noise of his camera ruining the listening for others around him? I have no problem with him taking some pictures, but is there some sort of courtesy he should have considered with the camera making noise being a distraction to others. I would have been fine with a few pictures every once in a while, but several pictures per minute in such a quiet listening environment seems like huge selfish gesture by him.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...