Monday 19 March 2018

How to reduce file size without losing quality or resolution?



I have 2,300+ pictures that I want to transfer to my phone but on their original size they take up a lot of space (6.44gb) I would like to trim is down to without sacrificing quality or resolution. I know it can be done under linux with something like pgncrush. I currently have access to a windows system and all the files are on jpeg format.


How do I do it?



Answer



I have found the answer I was looking. The answer is opt-jpg for Linux. I didn't find it on ubuntu repository. So you have to download the source of littleutils (http://sourceforge.net/projects/littleutils/) which has opt-jpg included.


To install from source. Download the Tar with wget and:


tar jxvf littleutils-1.0.27.tar.bz2 && cd littleutils-1.0.24

...


./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install && make install-extra


You have to be root so sudo su


I used a duck image for example. The un-optimized file is 1.1M after optimization its 991kb without losing any image quality (to naked eye) or changing the resolution of the image. It might not seem like huge difference (a reduction of 108kb) but with 2300+ images and 6.44gb size on average with the same size reduction can add up to a lot of space. enter image description here


You can see the original Duck image uploaded to flickr: enter image description here


And the optimized one: enter image description here


Can naked eye tell the difference?


As for how much space I actually saved. You will have to wait some time because I will have to let it run when I am not using the comp. This will take a while and I will remember to report back.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...