Thursday 8 March 2018

flash - Why is the bottom half my picture black when shooting with Cowboy Studio remote triggers?


This is my very first day of shooting with flash and remote flash. And picture turned out like this: Bottom half of it is black. I have no idea what has caused this and how to prevent it? I just know that after this I shot a few more frames without flash or only with the camera's built-in flash and they were fine so I know the camera is not broken. When I read the photo EXIF info this is what I had: 1/400 sec with f 2.8 and 60mm. My flash is a manual flash and its power was on 1/32 and zoom on 70mm.
No specific reason for these numbers, I was only experimenting. Also I had set the exposure compensation of the camera to -5.00 in the hope that it would make the background darker and the foreground look more 3D because of the flash.



Answer



You're shooting with a shutter speed faster than your sync speed (most likely 1/200 or 1/250). Your camera's shutter consists of two curtains -- the first one opens to begin the exposure, and the second follows it -- closing to end the exposure. At speeds slower than your camera's sync speed, these two curtain movements allow at least a tiny fraction of time between opening and closing, but at faster shutter speeds, the closing curtain is actually chasing the opening curtain, creating a moving slit of exposure. A flash occurring during such an exposure is only going to illuminate part of the sensor - hence, the dark bar.


This is a bit tricky to picture, but this video shows exactly what's happening with those curtains:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjeCchGRQo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...