Friday 30 March 2018

How can I take wide angle macro photos with a Nikon APS-C camera?


I am looking for wide angle macro solutions for Nikon APS-C cameras to create images similar to these. By "wide angle" I mean 20 mm (30 mm equiv.) or wider, and by "macro" I'm hoping to get close to 0.5× (not sure it will be possible).


My main concern is that simply adding even a thin extension tube will make it impossible to focus (by placing the plane of sharp focus behind the front element). I'm also worried that with some thin extension tubes I'd lose aperture control with G lenses.


What I'm looking for is either: 1. Confirmed working solutions (i.e. specific lens + specific extension tube; is there something that works with the 18-55 mm at 18 mm?); 2. Or alternative, non-extension tube based solutions.



Answer



I use a Nikon mount Sigma 15mm (22.5mm equiv) f2.8 lens which focuses to within 3cm to 4cm in front of the lens on a DX camera. Stopped down to f11 or f16 there is considerable depth of field.



Paul Harcout Davies and Clay Bolt have written an eBook on the subject of "Wide Angle Macro Photography.


This link points to an article on Wide Angle Macro http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/07/16/wide-angle-macro-photography-close-ups-with-impact-part-1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...