Tuesday 20 March 2018

equipment recommendation - Is it worth buying an expensive CPL filter over an e-bay cheap one?


I have already got a circular polarizer filter (CPL) filter for my canon EF-S 18-55mm and it is working fine, although the quality goes down a bit compared to when I don't have the filter on, but its okay for the effects of a CPL.


Now I'm thinking about getting a more expensive "Hoya or such" CPL filter along with some ND filters, My question, should I get the expensive filters, are they worth that difference?



Answer



Absolutely, the best ones are worth every penny. While I cannot say I tried every polarizer out there, I tried over a dozen and kept the 4 best ones.



My favorite by far is the Hoya HD Circular Polarizer which lets one full stop more light than every other polarizer. This is an import advantage since more light lets you shoot at lower ISOs and faster shutter-speeds.


Keep in mind that Hoya makes all grades of filters not just the best ones. Even the lowest quality one is not bad but paying more makes a difference. They have 5 quality levels and the Super Multi-Coated one is very good too but does not match the HD's transmittance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...