Friday 23 March 2018

diy - How can I make my own film scanner using a DSLR camera?


How can I make my own film scanner (35mm) using a 16MP DSLR camera?


For using the camera, I understand that I basically need a soft and even light source and a macro lens to focus on the films from close distance, all of these should be placed in a dark room or a dark box to avoid any unwanted light or reflection on my films.


Any ideas that how can get the best results?



Any DIY articles on how to make the whole setting? and what equipments do I need?




I can also use my normal CIS flatbed scanner, but I still have to make my own film adapter and light source for it. which one is better in your opinion, camera or normal scanner?



Answer



This is explained here but unless you really insist on building your own, I suggest you buy a slide-scanning attachment which is quite cheap.


In either case you need a close-focusing lens. If you have a macro lens, then use it. Otherwise you will have to get macro focusing using another macro technique such as extension tubes.


You will also need an even light source. The link above uses a flash which seems like overly complicated. Instead you can simply use a computer monitor showing pure white image over a large surface area. You can always adjust colors using WB and Fine-Tuning if your white is not exactly white.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...