Sunday 25 March 2018

How to correctly expose when using a flash?


I have been using the Manual mode ever since I picked up my Nikon D3200 about 6 months ago. I am pretty well versed with the exposure triangle & how to use it.



However, recently - I am starting to discover flash as a non-evil thing. And reading the theory about it, has left me confused.


Everywhere I read, people always say...


Situation : subject is facing camera with sun in the background (bright background, dim foreground)



  1. First expose properly for the ambient/background

  2. Then expose for the subject/foreground


What does this really means? Should I select a focus point on background, adjust my exposure & then focus on my subject again & then adjust the flash compensation to adjust for proper exposure? (this might mean multiple photographs till I find perfect exposure).


It would be great if people who are well versed with flash photography could answer this for me.


Thanks,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...