Saturday 3 March 2018

exposure - Why should I use the Zone System when the histogram gives me all the information I need?


DSLR cameras, by and large, give very complete information about how the photo is exposed, in the form of a histogram and image of a trial exposure. It shows the light distribution for both luminance and the colours. It shows if there is any clipping of highlights and shadows. Looking at the test image itself allows me to quickly assess whether the key tones are correctly exposed. And if they are not they will be close enough that I can easily correct them in post processing.


This seems to me to give all the information I need to make an accurate exposure. In fact I can't imagine a better way. And yet many people still advocate using the Zone System. But I fail to see it's advantages.


There was recently a similar question: Is the Zone System useful with a DSLR?. While it gave some interesting references the replies were bland statements of the form 'it is worth it'.


So I am posing the question in a more direct and specific form in the hope I will get more specific answers:


Why should I use the Zone System when the test histogram and image seems to give me all the information I need?



Answer



Well for starters, using the zone system allows you to obtain the correct exposure before you take the photograph. I'm a big fan of getting it right first time - if you take a photo, check the histogram, adjust settings, take another photo, check the histogram etc. you are using up valuable time, especially if you are shooting something time sensitive.



I use the zone system as it gives me total control over the exposure. A lot of photos I take do not have the even distribution of tones that would result in an even histogram, especially some of the gig photographs where the singer is the only light part of the photo and the background is very dark, if not pure black. The histogram for an example of these shots looks like this:


Sample histogram


But the photo, which to my eyes is correctly exposed, looks like this:


Högni


I don't think the histogram works in ALL situtions, whereas the zone system does. For this reason alone, I think it is preferable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...