Wednesday 7 February 2018

sharpness - Why my DSLR is not as sharp as my smart phone?


I recently bought a Nikon D5500 camera with two lenses: 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR and 50mm f/1.8G. When I compare the results with my advance smart phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 5), the sharpness is not so good.


To compare them, I took photos of a milk bottle which has some text written on it. I know that the sharpness of my DSLR depends on my aperture and probable hand shake. I tested with different apertures like 2.8, 3.5, 5.6 and enough shutter speeds (e.g. 1/100 sec) to get best results (using my both lenses) but the final photos are seems little worse than my smart phone!


Note that I take the photos both as hand held and also by putting the camera on top a table. To simplify the focusing, the Autofocus Area Mode (AF-Area) is set to Single point to have only one focus point at center.



I'm wondering why my DSLR which has a larger sensor and lens input (which means more incoming light) can't outperform my phone camera.


Also, I found that my DSLR is more sensitive to hand shakes and requires very good attention to hold it without any vibration, otherwise the photo will simply be blury. But my smart phone resists vibration much better and more simply.


I'm not sure if this is normal or something is wrong?


When I came to attach the sample images, I found that I had taken the smartphone photos at a closer distance such that I have a similar frame (based on its field of view which was so wider than my nikon lenses)! So i asked another question about how to compare cameras with different focal length (How should I arrange a scene to test the relative sharpness of lenses with different focal lengths?)




Sample Photos:


All DSLR Photos are with ISO=100


A) DSLR with 50mm prime lens:


50mm, f/4, 1/5 sec., iso 100, distance to subject: about 1.7 meter


enter image description here



100% crop as a separate file:


enter image description here


other apertures (beyond f/2.8), seem similar


B) Smartphone


distance to subject: about 40 cm (closer to subject to get similar field of view: have almost same objects from left-to-right of picture frame)


enter image description here


its 1:1 crop:


enter image description here


another sample from smart phone at a little farther distance to compensate the excessive perspective:


enter image description here



Note:


You may wonder why I compare this way. Consider that you want to take nice photo with most details from your little child, then its not so important to you which lens or focal length should be used. But, it's very important for you to get best photo of your baby, either with a 18mm, 35mm or 50mm lens. You can go forward or back to adjust the required distance from him/her to get its face or whole body in frame (can be easily 50 cm or 2 meter). Perspective is also tolerable to some extent. These samples here is just an extreme case with relatively high perspective distortion which is not so good for people photos. But I want to show the main point here. So, it seems that using (a little) wider angle lens like 28mm or 35mm lens at (a little) near distance can produce better details than a normal to tele 50mm lens?!




Note about slow shutter speed: all of the attached images (from DSLR camera) are taken with the camera resting on a table, so very slow shutter speeds (to compensate stopped down apertures) does not affect the stabilization or motion blur.


New Findings:


I'm not sure how should i set picture frames when i want to take my photos for comparison. previously, i tried to have similar range (from left to right side of the frame). today, i also notice that the 2 cameras have different res & aspect ratios:



  • D5500: 6000x4000 pixels (aspect ration = 1.5)

  • Samsung Note: 5312x2988 pixels (aspect ration = 1.78)



in other hand, some comments suggest that the size of subject (the can) must be equal in whole picture to have fair compare. Now, there is a new question:


» How should i set the scenes for these two different cameras to have a fair comparison? and don't forget that the main goal is to take best photo from the main subject (like as baby face) at central area.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...