Tuesday 20 February 2018

lighting - How do I take photographs of scientific laser products?


I have been asked to take some product photos of various scientific lasers.


Most of them will just be simple shots of the boxes on a white background but I will also have to do an 'action' shot a bit like the one below. The laser produces a white beam that can be split into the full colour spectrum when it goes through a special prism.


old image


I have never photographed anything remotely like this before and I want to get it right. For example it would be nice to minimise the amount of reflection on the laser 'box' itself. I will have to do this in an empty laboratory as I will not be allowed to take the laser off site.


In terms of gear I've got a nikon d300, a selection of dx lenses (35mm, 18-200mm, 14-24mm) and a decent tripod.


How should I approach something like this?



Answer




From looking at the picture in your question, I assume the light was post-processed in the shot after it was taken. And maybe that would be the way to go for you as well. I estimate it rather difficult and tricky to make the real light beam visible using smoke or some such, while keeping a clear and sharp image of the device itself, which would be your main subject.


So maybe, take some good shots of the device, and after you have them, use smoke to take pictures of the light beam, at least to see how it really looks like. Then, edit the good pictures of the device and the beam together.


Just my proposition...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...