Sunday 11 February 2018

focus - How can I get perfect sharpness when shooting still art?


I've been trying to shoot some marble sculpture that are well lit on a studio wall. The photos are coming out well and perfectly useable.. but I'm striving for something better. My issue is with sharpness, I can't get everything perfectly sharp. Any tips on top of what I am doing:



  1. I'm using a tripod

  2. Canon 5d mark II with 24-105 as well as nifty fifty

  3. Aperture highest the lens offers

  4. ISO 400 or lower

  5. Image stabilisers off

  6. Long and short exposures 4 seconds - 1/500

  7. Focusing manually using liveCode zoomed in 10x


  8. 1.5 meters from the subject


I'm getting great shots.. but I want to capture all the fine details of the stone, the textures and veining etc.


I can sharpen and boost the contrast etc in post and get some pretty nice images.. but with the source images being a little off, you can never capture that perfect photo.


http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/03/airy-dresses-carved-from-marble-by-alasdair-thomson/




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...