Thursday 21 December 2017

lens - How do I best compare lenses?


Recently I purchased a $280 50 mm f/1.4 Canon lens. I've got a few lenses at this point, and I generally buy them on reviews and my needs. I bought this lens to do portraits. I also have a `18 - 55 mm f3.5/5.6 kit lens that came with my camera -- the T3i. I want to make more informed purchasing decisions in the future, I get the idea that some of the difference here is placebo and possibly Amazon and forum reviews won't help me as much as I'd like to make educated purchases.



  • Is there a site that has compared lenses using some form of quantified comparison?


  • Is there a qualitative Turing-test of lens clarity that an amateur can do?†


I see things like 50 mm, f/1.4 I know a bit of what these things mean, but I'm confused at other factors -- why isn't there some quantified measure of lens distortion that I can find? The 50 mm is often advertised as good for "low depth" photography (ie., blurry backgrounds): how do a qualify depth in lens?




† I'm at Panera bread, I shot a picture of my coffee cup 4 feet away with both lenses without a tripod on fast-shutter; both, pictures turned out identical to my naked eye.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...