Saturday 23 December 2017

canon - Does sensor size always matter in all situations?


I recently bought a Canon SX720 camera which has the sensor size 1/2.3". It's probably the smallest sensor size. Some good camera smartphones such as Apple's 7 Plus has got 1/3" sensor. Does that mean my camera will always produce better pictures?


The benefits of a large sensor as I have noted can be:



  • Better image quality in low light.


  • Lower ISO required.

  • Shallower depth-of-field (more background blurriness).


If I take pictures in bright light however, would the sensor size still matter i.e. bigger is always better? If that is the case it seems that my camera will always be better than any smartphone as it has a little more bigger sensor.


PS: I am not a professional photographer, just a hobbyist / aspiring student interested in photography of every day life.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...