Thursday 21 December 2017

lens - How can I compare 'super-zoom' lenses to make up my mind which one I should buy?


So I am currently looking to buy a 'super zoom' lens to be used along my 35mm for travelling. I have already compiled a number of different suitable lenses within my budget range and focal length. I am not listing them here because I don't want the question to be flagged as shopping questions, however the more I research, the more I find new suitable lenses and this makes me even more confused.


How can I compare all of them to find the the best lens from the lot, which produces the best image quality?



Answer



Comparing super zoom lenses is really not very much different then comparing any other lens. For super zoom lenses you need to understand that in general they are all based on compromises. The big three that you will have to choose between are optical quality, size, and price. Typically you get to choose either 1 or 2 of the 3, but not all three.



Size, weight, focal length range, maximum aperture, optical quality, build quaility, features, and price all are factors to consider, just as with any other zoom lens. Do you need the absolute best image quality available as well as the largest focal length available as well? Be prepared to spend a great deal of money as well as have a phyically large lens. Do you need a lens that is a reasonable size and priced on the budget side? Prepare for less then amazing image quality or a very small focal length range.


Some of the specific things to consider when selecting a super zoom lens include:



  • Focal length range

  • Variable aperture values over the entire focal length range

  • Optical quality especially at the focal length you plan to use most

  • Overlap with your existing lenses


Other Resources:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...