Thursday 23 February 2017

Why does my old Quantaray flash not work on my newer Canon DSLR?


I have an older Quantaray QTB-7500A flash with the Canon TTL module. I used this with my old Canon EOS Elan 35mm which died a few years back. I recently bought a Canon Rebel XSi, because I could use my old EF lenses, and figured the Flash would also work. However, when I mount the flash on the camera, it does not acknowledge that the flash is there. The flash powers up, and if I hit the test button, the flash fires, so I know the bulb/charging system is OK. The TTL connectors on the flash look like they match the connectors on the Camera's Hot shoe. Am I missing something? Is the Hot shoe bad? Has Canon changed the TTL connector over the years?




Answer



There is an in-depth post about Canon TTL here.


The short version is that there is TTL (film/old style), E-TTL (early digital), and E-TTL II (recent digital).


Some new flashes will work with older systems, but flashes designed for TTL are not fully compatible with either version of E-TTL. According to canon-eos.webuda.com, the Quantaray QTB-7500A is only compatible with TTL.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...