Friday 3 February 2017

landscape - Capturing vibrant colors on a bright, sunny day


Recently I was on a vacation trip at Phi Phi Island with my Nikon D5300 and a simplistic 18-55 NIKKOR kit lens. I was sailing on a cruise. It was a bright, in fact very bright, sun outside. On a boat, mounting on tripod would make no sense since the platform was swaying heavily. So, HDR or AEB shots were impossible to take. Precisely, I couldn't take multiple shots of the same frame in different exposures due to lateral and forward motion of the boat. Moreover, to avoid blur, I was forced to use a faster shutter speed and set the ISO a bit higher to compensate accordingly. To capture the details in highlight, I underexposed by -1/3 or -2/3. However, in spite of all those fantastic calculations, a large fraction of the images taken were somewhat washed out / brightened. Particularly, I didn't like the white glare.


In GIMP, if I apply Tools => Color Tools => Levels => Auto, it improves the picture to some perceivable extent. Below I share on of the worst shots and the edited version of the same. Relevant EXIF of the original capture is: [ISO => 400, F11, 1/320 seconds, -1/3 EV]



Original


phi_phi_one_third_underexposed


Edited


phi_phi_gimp_color_level_auto


What could I do to capture (1) vibrant colors (2) in a bright landscape (3) while in motion (4) straight-out-of-camera?


All four of the points above are important for this question. My initial research on the same reveals:



  1. Underexposure: May be I could underexpose a little more, possibly all the down to -1 stop. I am afraid that would ruin the images in the other way.

  2. Better lens: I am not sure which lens though keeping in mind that I am on a crop-sensor camera and on Nikon line. Any suggestion?

  3. Shoot in RAW: Would that help in post-processing? Please note that, this option still conflicts with clause #4 (SOOC)


  4. White balance: It was set to AUTO. Any advise on that?

  5. Camera mode: Probably, there's some LANDSCAPE mode. How well does it perform? I never tried that since I presumed that it takes some camera controls beyond my control.

  6. Polarizer: I don't have one. Does it worth investing on it to improve images under similar condition?

  7. UV filter: I have got one cheap one mounted on my lens. It gives me the "sense of safety" of protecting my lens. Haven't seen any improvement in the image quality though.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...