Monday 27 February 2017

equipment recommendation - As a beginner, which do I need to focus on more, camera body or lens?




Possible Duplicate:
When buying entry level cameras, are lenses really more important than the body?

Is lenses which make your photographs, not camera bodies?



I am planning to get a DSLR, but before I do, I would like to know which part I need to concentrate on more while buying a DSLR, body or lens?


Lenses can be upgraded, but the body is not as like that. So what are the features I need to notice while getting a body.



Answer



Any modern DSLR will be just fine, you don't have to invest too much in the camera body (maybe not get the lowest-end model, but the second-lowest-end model is usually quite nice and will do everything an amateur will need for at least a few years - for Canon this is the 650D/T4i, I don't know the model numbers for other brands).


Also, the "bad" kit lenses are usually so much better than any point and shoot and will do just fine - 18-55 is a little too short for my taste but 18-135 is an extremely useful range (18-200 is even better but much more expensive, I went with the 18-135 when I was in your situation).


What you have to invest in is not the camera or lens - you have to invest in the photographer - you need to learn the basics and the common techniques and then take lots and lots and lots of pictures (and look at the pictures looking for ways to get better, otherwise you won't learn from them).


A photography workshop or two may also be a good investment.


Learning how to take good photos will improve your images much more than a better camera or lens.



After you'll be doing this for a while hopefully you will know what is holding you back and upgrade the specific piece of equipment that will most help with your style of photography (for example, for me, right now, lighting equipment is more limiting than the camera or lens so this is where I'm investing)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...