Monday 27 February 2017

Is it a bad idea to activate lens-corrections in camera, when also use lens-correction in Lightroom?


My EOS has the option to correct known lens-aberration which is activated at the moment.


I use Lightroom (5.2) for post-processing, which can also correct lens-aberration.


Is it a problem to activate both cam- and Lightroom-correction or is the Lightroom-correction smart enough to recognize that there is nothing (or not so much) too to anymore?


Mainly I use raw-format and seldom (but not never) jpeg. I suppose raw doesn’t safe the cam-correction info, so I guess my question is only relevant for jpeg, isn´t it?


Update EXIF:


I was looking to the EXIF und IPTC informations in Lightroom, but no attribute tells me that the cam correct lens-aberrations.


Update Test:


I do a simple test. Post results as a separate answer for better discussion.




Answer



This only matters for JPEG (and the embedded JPEG previews).


I would say it comes down to which you like better. If you're shooting JPEG it'd be nice to have it done in camera. You would probably get better results from the camera as it can (though depending on the implementation, may not) use the RAW data for its corrections whereas LR would be using the rendered JPEG. However, you would have more control than a simple on/off if you do it in LR which you may find yields better results for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...