Tuesday 20 December 2016

What steps do I need to take to deconstruct the lighting of a portrait?


In general, what steps should I take to deconstruct the lighting on a portrait that somebody else took?




  • Are there certain things I should look for that provide visual clues?

  • What can I look for to indicate the direction and number of light sources?

  • What should I look for to determine the shape of the light modifiers used (if present)?

  • What indications of softness and hardness are there?

  • Are there methods to judge how far the lights are away?

  • Are there any methods to judge apparent light size based on fall off or such?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...