Thursday 8 December 2016

lens - Which lenses should I take on a honeymoon trip to Alaska?



Newbie photographer here and really hoping for some expert advice! I go to Alaska on honeymoon in July and really need some advice on lenses.


My camera is the Canon EOS 1100D (told you I was a newbie!) and it came with the following lenses:



  • EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 (I've read it's pretty poor)

  • EF 75-300mm f 4-5.6 III USM (again, read it's not great)

  • EF 50mm f1.8 II (read it's a pretty decent performer, if on the cheaper end).


We are having four days in and around Anchorage before embarking on a cruise from Juneau. I have read that non-specific questions are hard to answer, so here is what I want:





  • I would love to take some memorable landscape shots (I am relying on the 75-300mm as our telephoto, though I am expecting it not to perform too well). I have it in my head that I need a wide angle lens for these landscape shots, but to be honest I am not sure how wide I need. The only decent lens I have at the moment is the 50mm, so I don't know if I should be looking at a 24/28mm prime or if I should get a more versatile zoom.




  • Price wise, I don't want to blow a huge hole in the honeymoon fund on something I am probably not good enough to get the best out of. But I also don't want to buy a crap lens that won't be worth the investment.




  • I don't mind taking a few lenses, as we have a pretty large travel bag that can accommodate them if we need to, but again is the inconvenience of swapping lenses outweighed by the benefits of having a good prime?




  • Is it worth me even taking the 18-55mm or will I be better off without it?!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...