Friday 23 December 2016

astrophotography - How can I avoid star trails?



When shooting deep sky objects such as Andromeda or the Orion nebula, I find that I'm between a rock and a hard place. I can get passable results by running 3600 ISO and four second exposure. Any longer exposures will show star trails that wont work in DeepSkyStacker. I'm pretty sure my focusing is as tight as can be. I'd like to get more detail and stars but without a motor drive for my equatorial mount, I'm not sure it's doable. Also I find that using a barlow lens really makes the star trails much more noticeable. With just telescope and no barlow the star trails are still there but less apparent.



Any ideas on how I can get nice crisp photos? Maybe many short exposures stacked will yield the same result? Even though the short exposures have much fewer stars and details, will they still work in DeepSkyStacker? Are there other editing programs that might work a bit better for me?enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...