Wednesday 7 December 2016

Am I permanently altering my NEF/raw files if I save changes in Nikon ViewNX 2?



When editing the NEF (Nikon raw files) with Nikon's ViewNX 2 software, after modifying things like exposure and white balance, I have the ability to save the NEF file or "Save As" a new filename. Apparently I have to do one or the other before converting to TIFF/JPEG to open with an external program like Photoshop.


If I chose to Save the changes I make to a NEF file in ViewNX 2, am I permanently altering the original data? That is, am I just saving the new selections I made and I can re-edit and change my selections in the future, or am I actually altering the raw data itself, perhaps in some way which I cannot later undo?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...