Saturday 14 February 2015

Can in-camera JPEG have image quality advantages over (third party software) converted RAW?


Question about RAW advantages over JPG made me curious if somebody has examples where in-camera JPEG is actually image quality-wise better than RAW image converted in computer (possibly by third party RAW converter). I don't mean default settings, but the best you can get from both.


EDIT: I finally found at least one example myself: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/06/iso-6400-from-an-ep1.html


Although this is really subjective, I get consistently better colors from Canon's DPP (which should match the camera algorithms) than what I get from the converters I've tried. This might fall into (poor) skill category though.


EDIT2: Another case where this could possibly happen is when the highlight rescuing functionality (Active D-lighting/Highlight tone priority/...) is used. So if anybody has made this kind of tests, feel free to share your results.


EDIT3: Here are my own results where in-camera noise reduction seems to beat everything else: Does "long exposure noise reduction" option make any difference when shooting RAW?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...