Wednesday 4 February 2015

Can I combine RAW & JPEG after import in Aperture?


I'm trying out Aperture; I have a hefty collection of photos in iPhoto, and for a few reasons, it's not cutting it for me anymore.


I recently started shooting RAW+JPEG on my camera. I see that Aperture copes with this quite well, and imports both images allowing me to choose one as the master file. iPhoto has no notion of this, and since I have imported many photos into iPhoto already, I have many duplicates in Aperture, with one being the RAW and one the JPEG.


I would like to combine these individual RAW & JPEG photos in Aperture just as if I had imported them from the camera as RAW+JPEG, with the RAW as the master.


Is such a thing possible? Is it even a good idea, or should I just trash any JPEG for which I have a RAW master in Aperture?



Answer



You nailed it in your last question.


The RAW file contains more information that the JPG does. This means that Aperture is (non-destructively!) going to be able to create better images, have multiple variations, and do so all non-destructively.


If you need JPG files, have Aperture generate them for you with any size or quality you desire.



If you have the RAW, there is no need to keep the JPGs around.


So, why do cameras offer both? Simple. Some applications can't read RAW files and the JPG is a fall back.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...