Friday 20 February 2015

judging - How can I get objective, numerical Image Quality measurements for my photos?


I intend to take some raw images using my Canon-450D, and process them offline using some tool. Then I need to get some objective(numerical) metrics for those images like Image Noise, Image Sharpness(blur), Colour Accuracy(or some kind of Colour artifacts) which would help me decide the quality of the processed image.



  1. What are the tools which could help me get these metrics for BMP/JPEG images?It could be 'absolute measurements' or some relative computations which may need a reference image. Either of these options are ok.


    • a. Noise in Image

    • b. Image Sharpness(Blur in the image

    • c. Chroma noise/some metric measuring colour artifacts ?



  2. What are other objective metrics which help in deciding image quality?


P.S.: I have checked Imatest. But there, to get almost any metric, one needs to have the captured images of Standard Test charts (like X-Rite colour chart, ISO Charts, SFRPlus charts, etc.), because it seems to allow the user to select patches in the test chart images as Region of Interest and then computes the metrics for those regions.


It doesn't seem to give metrics for images having any general content/scene in it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...