Thursday 13 September 2018

How do you import the new OS X Photos app to Adobe Lightroom?


I recently purchased a new camera to start my photography hobby. I have an SD card that I put into my Macbook Pro, and was able to easily import pictures from it into Lightroom.


This didn't work, however, because the pictures remained on the SD card and upon removing it the photo links were all broken in Lightroom.


I decided to, instead, import them to the new Photos app with the intent to then import them from there to Lightroom, but there seems to be no option to do this and I can't find the pictures from within Lightroom.


The images are visible in the Photos app, however, so they're definitely on the Mac.


I'm new to Lightroom and new to the Macbook, so I'm convinced that this is user error but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I just want to get the pictures off my SD card, onto the Macbook and editable within Lightroom. How do I do that?



EDIT


I'm using Lightroom CC. I read something once about installing an addon within Lightroom but the option wasn't there because Creative Cloud is apparently slightly different from the older versions?



Answer



cmason's answer has covered how to get the photos out of Photos.


However, here's where you first went wrong. When you import images to Lightroom, Lightroom gives you four different ways to do this, and they're all at the top of the Import window. You select which one you want by clicking on it. From left to right, the options are:




  1. Copy as DNG. This converts your RAW images to DNG (Adobe's digital negative) file format as the files are imported. The RAW files are left on the card. This has the tradeoff of not requiring sidecar .xmp files to store the edit history of the file, but can lose you proprietary metadata of the specific RAW format you're using.





  2. Copy. This copies the photo files from where they are into wherever you tell Lightroom to put them as you import. This will leave all the files on the card alone, which can be useful if there's a problem with the import, you want to keep the card for backup, etc.




  3. Move. This moves the photos from where they are into wherever you tell Lightroom to put them as you import, which will automatically remove the files from the card.




  4. Add. This just adds the photos to the Lightroom catalog where they're resident. This can be handy if you like to copy the files from the card to where you want them to live on your OSX box by hand before doing the import.




I think you accidentally did 4) when you meant to do 2) or 3), which is why Lightroom cataloged the photos on the card, rather than those same files moved/copied on your hard drive.



Which one is right for you depends on your personal work habits. Once you've established how you like to import files, you can then save everything as an "Import preset" at the bottom middle of the Import window, and use the arrow on the lower left corner to minimize what the window shows to just what your preset is concerned with.


See also this youtube video with Julieanne Kost walking you through ways to import files in Lightroom from the camera. And while it's for Lightroom 5, not CC, you may want to take a spin through her tv.adobe.com series, Getting Started with Adobe Lightroom. I'm not affiliated with Kost or Adobe in any way, I just found this series of videos to be the easiest way for me to learn the basics of using Lr.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...