Saturday 1 September 2018

Transfer photos from one Lightroom installation to another?


I've recently started using Lightroom 3 on my desktop computer, where I have all my photos on a large RAID disk (with regular backups!). Now, if I go on holiday I'll only have my laptop with me, which has only limited disk space.


Is it possible to use Lightroom during vacation on my laptop and then transfer all photos (and metadata) to my desktop computer, when I'm back home?



Answer



Thanks a lot everyone for your tips! I'm going to answer my own question, since none of the answers exactly describes my preferred workflow. So, here goes:




  • Laptop: Create a separate folder for all pics of the vacation, e.g. 2011_03_01-07_Hawaii ;)

  • Laptop: Import all pics from the camera into that folder. Create subfolders as necessary. Edit pics in LR as desired.

  • Laptop: In Library > Folders, right-click on the folder and choose Export this Folder as a Catalog... and choose a shared location (memory stick, network share, etc.)

  • Desktop: Click File > Import from Catalog... Choose the previously exported catalog on the shared location. In the import dialog under 'New Photos' choose: Copy new photos to a new location and import and your preferred location.


That's it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...