Monday 10 September 2018

lightroom 4 - Organize messy collection of raw files


Over the years I used different cameras and have a huge messy picture collection.


To be sure not to loose any pictures I copied them several times on different external hard drives changing often the way and the tool I used to organize them.


Now I have a big 10tb raid drive that I think could contain all my orignal files I'd like to move all the raw pictures from all the external drives to it.


The organization folders would be


->year

--->month
------>day
------->all the original files (jpeg and raw) untouched

I'd like a tool that:



  • Could find all the original files (jpeg or raw) based on patterns of camera (ex IMG_*.RAW, DCIM)

  • Move all the files to the new drive using the folder structure above (reading exif data)

  • Ensure that before deleting the file on the original drive it was really copied successfully to the destination folder.

  • Skipping copying but deleting on the original drive if i find an exact duplicates of the picture in the destination folder.



I have Lightroom but do not know if I can use it for this and I have yet to understand it's internal organization. I'd like also to be independent of the tool I will use to edit and tag my pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...