Friday 1 June 2018

portrait - How can I accurately focus manually on an APS-C DSLR?


My favorite portrait lens is the Nikon 50mm 1.4G. I love the light and what it is capable of. My problem with it is that on my D90 the AF is sometimes horribly slow, and in many cases (mainly low light) I can't auto focus at all. I use AF lock as much as possible, but for many shots I really wish I could just use manual focus. The problem is that I'm usually wrong about whether my subject is in focus or at least completely in focus. So my question is...


Are there any recommendations you can make for training my eye to be sure my manual focus is accurate? Any diopter adjustments or calibrating tools? Any eye exercises to train myself to recognize a true focus?


I know that I would probably have better AF performance on a more expensive body, but for now I think it's good practice to train myself in manual focus anyway. Thanks for any assistance.



Answer



One of your problems is that the matte screen in your camera (this is what you are actually looking at through the viewfinder, it's a semi-transparent plastic screen that sits at the top of the mirror-house, below the prism housing) is designed to give a nice bright useable image through a slow autofocus lens such as your average f/3.5-5.6 consumer zoom. This is good if you are using a consumer zoom, but very bad if you are trying to focus a fast prime lens. The reason is that the extra screen brightness is bought at the expense of focus accuracy - is unable to show you the small depth of field at larger apertures than about f/2.8-ish. In other words, if you look at the image from an f/1.4 lens through this matte screen, the depth of field you see will be that of f/2.8 and not f/1.4. Again, for a consumer zoom this is entirely irrelevant but for a fast prime it is highly misleading. You physically cannot focus a fast prime accurately through such a matte screen; you are just not getting the information needed.



A solution for manual focusing is to replace the default "fast" matte screen with an old-school, coarse-grained one which will show you accurate depth of field for a faster lens, and more "pop" when things come into focus. You may also get a screen with a split-prism center, or one with a prism-ring round the center.


I'm not sure if Nikon offers such alternative mattes for the D90 but third parties might although installation is likey to be a bit more fiddly in that case. The downsides to a coarse-grained matte screen is that it affects light-metering, and that the view from lenses slower than about f/2.8 will be darker (much darker, in the case of an f/5.6 lens) in the viewfinder. The matte does not affect autofocus performance in any way though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...