Monday 20 March 2017

Is the kit lens focal length specified for APS-C or FF?


I have the 18-55mm kit lens for my Canon 50D and was wondering if they're still specified against full frame 1:1 crop? Would my 18mm actually be 1.6x?


I ask because I doubt anyone with a full frame camera would even think of using a kit lens of this calibre.



Answer



18-55mm is the focal length, which is independent of sensor size.



Your lens is made for APS-C, so the any field of view measurements are likely for APS-C. It would be the equivalent field of view of a 28.8mm-88mm, which we refer to as 28.8e-88e.


On a full-frame camera, it will vignette.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...