Saturday 18 March 2017

equipment recommendation - Portrait photography of children (Christmas)



I floated an offer to my family to photograph my neices and nephews for Christmas. Now, we're doing this with plenty of time for them to get professional work done if mine don't really come out great, but if they do it's a win for them and for me (since I get any size I want this time). So... Given that I've placed my photographic skills on the line, does anyone have some great tips (or sites) for:




  1. Portrait photography of childen




  2. Christmas portraiture in general




  3. Gear suggestions





I anticipate having some fun, regardless, they're all great kids. For help, the age range is 2 to 7 with 4 girls and 2 boys. I also have studio lighting and a backdrop stand.



Answer



I have been taking images of children recently and found that those closer to 2 have not wanted to pose in anyway shape or form!


My most successful have included setting up a studio area and defining where the children need to be, then letting them play with toys, dance to music and chat away to each other. In doing this I got some nice relaxed poses.


I think its key for you to define what you are looking for, is it a group shot, formal, relaxed, one or 2 children at a time.


On my recent ones I have chosen to shoot with my 35mm-70m 2.8, this has produced some lovely tones. With a small amount of zoom on it, it helps with the fact that the children move around a lot!


My technical set up is normally 2 diffusers, white background, AP of 6.3 to 11 and shutter of 1/125


As for the Christmas aspect -I am sorry but I havent done anything specifically for that - hopefully someone can help you on that.



Good luck!


alt text


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...