Friday 10 March 2017

focus - I'm having trouble getting sharp pictures while shooting a concert from a press pass location


I am a bit of a noob when it comes to photography. But I recently got the opportunity to shoot John Mayer this past weekend in Wisconsin. Upon getting home, I noticed the pictures weren't as sharp as they could have been, and saw that almost all of them had a slight blur to them.


Me being new to the photography world, it is quite overwhelming jumping into such a huge act like John Mayer. I took some advice from a Nat Cam employee on how to shoot.


He told me to shoot in Aperture Priority mode. Keep my lens wide open at 2.8, (lens I'm using is a Tamron 17-50mm (no stabilizing feature) on my Nikon D5100). I stuck to shooting from an ISO of 800-1600 most of the show. Exposure meter was at 0.0 the whole time.


I'll attach some pictures.



But I do need some help badly, as I am shooting John Mayer again next week, and I really dont want to mess thing up this time. Because all of my pics so far aren't really useable.


I stopped back into Nat Cam yesterday to see if they could explain the problem. The guy there thought it was the "focusing points" that were focusing on random things in the background, speakers, mic stand, etc and that I should change it from auto area AF to Dynamic area so that I can put one focus point on his face so the focus point doesn't get distracted with anything else. He also told me to bump up my ISO to 3200 because the "D5100 can handle it". Lastly he said I should keep it on center weighted metering as I have it.


Do you all think that could be the problem? Or is it something else?


I can use all the help I can get, I just don't want to blow my shots again next week.


Thank you all who respond!


http://s806.photobucket.com/user/AKOG/media/DSC_0135_zpsd975cd62.jpg.html


http://s806.photobucket.com/user/AKOG/media/FinalJM2_zpscbf304db.jpg.html




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...