Tuesday 21 March 2017

equipment recommendation - What's a good Nikon lens (DX) for a serious hobbyist landscape photographer?



I shoot a bit of everything, though mostly landscape stuff. Mostly with a beanbag, or handheld.


I currently have the following lenses:



The 18-70 is fine, but the 70-300 is cheap and slow, and I often find myself wanting to wider than 70mm with it (changing lenses is a hassle, and lets dust in).


For both of them, I often think VR would help, particularly in dim lighting (e.g. shaded forests, night shots, etc)


I've got two camera bodies, a D300s and a D70.


I've been considering the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF DX VR, which goes for ~£545..£580


However, another option might be to get a 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR (~£220) plus a 55-200mm f4-5.6 G AF-S DX VR IF-ED (~£240), allowing one on each camera body - are there any advantages to that, compared to just the 18-200mm?


Are there any other lens options that make sense?


I don't really have a fixed budget, but anything over £600 is probably pushing it.

(The less money I can spend without getting rubbish, the better.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...