Wednesday 9 March 2016

post processing - Can I get noise reduction in Aperture that even gets close to the quality of Lightroom's?


I've been looking for a new Library / Photo Editing software, iPhoto isn't really cutting it any more. I've been using both Aperture and Lightroom a bit now (trial licenses) and I noticed a big difference in the noise reduction capabilities.


Lightroom does a really amazing job with noise reduction on some of my long exposure northern light photos. Apertures noise reduction on the other hand barely makes a difference. This might be due to how I use Aperture and Lightroom, but I've seen reviews that praise Lightrooms noise reduction while almost bashing Apertures (lack of).


I like how Aperture creates "Libraries" and organize the photos. The "do what you want at any time" aspect of Aperture is also something I prefer, but it's extremely slow on my computer which is quite fast (MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011, i7 4GB Ram).


I guess my question would be: Is there any other really good noise reduction plug-ins for Aperture? Can I get noise reduction that even get close to the quality of Lightrooms in Aperture?



Answer



Yes Lightroom 3.6 noise reduction is quite good but not great. You can get better results with dedicated software. I've read a number of reviews of various software packages and plugins but there is only one I personally use: NIK Dfine 2.2


I found it to be FAR better then Lightroom and NIK is also available for Aperture. How it works in Lightroom is that you have to select your image then right-click and choose edit in NIK Dfine. This opens your image in the plugin application where you work on the noise reduction. Once your work is completed, your image is added into the Lightroom library. You can choose to edit the original or a copy of the image with adjustments. The plugin is not seamlessly integrated within the application framework as the word "plug-in" would suggest, but it is not very cumbersome to use. Personally, I use Lightroom tools for most of my work and only use specialized plugins such as this one for selected photos.



After your noise reduction is complete I would also suggest to use more advanced sharpening utility. Again, I use a NIK plugin Sharpener Pro 3.0 for the occasional photo i deem worthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...