Tuesday 29 March 2016

field of view - Camera handling - right handed, left eye dominant


I know there are many discussions online about this topic, so I humbly apologise if I missed the answers to my following questions.



As I stated in the title I am right handed but left eye dominant, leading to me naturally using the viewfinder with my left eye. Out of convenience reasons I have the trigger (right hand) up when taking verticals. This means the camera covers most of my weaker right eye.


Now I've read about the advantages of having both eyes open to track movement outside the viewfinder. Leaving the eye open isn't a problem but I can't see much past the camera.


My questions are now:




  1. Is taking verticals with left eye and right hand up considered "bad practise" in general?




  2. Would you recommend switching to having the trigger (right hand) down as to to solve the field of view problem (seeing the camera with the right eye rather than the surroundings)? Even though it's less comfortable to me?





  3. Should I even consider switching my viewfinder eye to right to leverage the camera design (Canon 7D) in my case and possibly also have some vision of the surroundings when doing horizontals?





Answer



Do what is most comfortable to you. I am also right handed and for whatever reason got used to using my left eye to look thru the view finder.


Personally, I find having both eyes open quite distracting. I've tried it because it was recommended, but trying to track the scene with one eye while looking thru the view finder with the other just doesn't work for me. I even tried it with a zoom lens set so that the scene sizes match, and it still confused and distracted me.


Again, do what works for you. The important thing is to recognize when vertical framing is better. Whether you rotate the camera clockwise or counter-clockwise to achieve that is completely up to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...