Wednesday 16 March 2016

equipment identification - What is this physical filter, shaped like a shallow pyramid?


I was going through my parents loft (attic) and came across an old camera bag of my father's filled with bits of old junk and filters.


I came across this weird shaped filter which sadly was not boxed like the others. The others were all Cokin and this fitted in the adapter so this leads me to believe it's also a Cokin filter. The others were all self explanatory, graduated/ND/polarizer/etc, but this one caught my eye.


Annoyingly I don't have any cameras here so I can't attach the filter to a lens for a sample image.


If the images aren't clear, it's shaped like a shallow pyramid with a circular hole through it.



filter front view filter side view



Answer



It looks like a multi-image, aka kaleidoscope filter - specifically a Cokin #201 - I can't tell whether it's an A or a P; they're the same but different sizes.


I can't find any reference to it any more on Cokin, apparently it's long out of production, but I can find many on eBay searching just 'cokin 201' - examples


This is the box artwork, as an example of the image it produces


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...