Thursday 17 December 2015

How can I get accurate photo colors on a laptop screen?


My editing mainly involves these things:



  1. Adjusting the colors, white balance , brightness (slightly , to get that subtle combination)

  2. Cropping of the images.



I have recently bought a laptop and I am editing photos in that.
The problem which I am facing is that, the picture looks different on the laptop when screen on the laptop is moved a little back and forth.


How do I adjust colors in that case, and how can I be sure that the image looks the same on all desktops and laptops — if not 100%, at least to some extent, like 80-90%?


Bottom line involves calibrating I suppose, but while editing in laptop screens, how do I make sure that what I am looking at, is a correct representation of the image?


Any techniques to use without investing in any external hardware would be particularly useful.



Answer



It is pretty much impossible, although you can get closer.


At the very least you need a color-calibration device. Using that device you calibrate your screen so that the colors it can show are close to how they should be. Most laptop displays sadly only show 60-75% of sRGB color, so there can be up to 40% of colors you cannot see in the laptop. Instead they get substituted for another color. It can make it very surprising when you see your image elsewhere.


Even if you get a top-quality laptop like a Thinkpad W700 which has a color-calibration device built-in, you still only get 84% sRGB coverage which is on par with crappy monitors and yet costs a fortune.



Ideally, you would get a color-calibratable display and hook it to your laptop while you do any work which has to do with colors. The are relatively cheap these days and I know you can get the NEC P221W for under $450, so they are definitely affordable now. If that is too expensive, look for it refurbished (I bought 2 of those for $237 each like that). This is the cheapest wide-gamut display I know and covers 100% of sRGB and 96% of AdobeRGB color spaces, it also supports 10-bit internal LUTs which reduces calibration artifacts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...