Wednesday 30 December 2015

Recommendation: Tool for import files/folder - that doesn't duplicate duplicates


I need help finding a way of archiving my photographs. My requirements are very few:





  • I want to copy/move a set or files or a folder into my photos-folder where i have subfolders named "yyyu-mm-dd" (=EXIF date taken)




  • When doing this, the tool needs to avoid importing the same photo twice (Like with Acdsee: The second time I import the same image it adds " (1)" to second files name, then " (2)" to the third and so on...)




  • Should work in Windows or Linux. Preferably Windows.




  • Would be nice to be able to select a set of files to import rather then a whole folder.





I used Adobe Lightroom for a while but it was too expensive for this simple task. But I liked it. I could just select a couple of files in windows and drag'n'drop them into Lightroom and the importer would pop up and it didn't import duplicates and so on. So simple.


After that I switched to Acdsee. Liked it a lot but the import UI feels a bit behind and cumbersome. It didn't handle duplicates in a good way, as i mentioned before. Have a missed any configuration for this?


Using the windows build-in photo-importer can only import files from a camera, not a folder or a selection of files.


Can you recommend a tool for this that is either not as expensive as Lightroom or open source?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...