Thursday 31 December 2015

canon - Should auto-focus need adjusting?


I own a Canon XTI, and it always seems my shots are slightly out of focus. I usual have my camera set to the center focus point, and usually half press the shutter button to establish the focus on the item I want to focus on before actually taking the shot. Yet I still seem to have a problem with a lot of my shots being out of focus.


I was searching around and found out that higher end Canon DSLRs actually have an option in their menu to adjust the auto-focus, yet my XTI does not have this option. I searched around some more and found this page on adjusting the autofocus on a 350D with an Allen wrench. I assuming there will be a similar screw in my 400D?


Can someone tell me what this screw adjusts exactly? Is this something that typically needs adjustment? Should I even mess with this, or should I just send my camera/lens into Canon? I'm no stranger to opening up small electronic devices, so I'd rather not pay $100+ to have someone turn an easily adjustable Allen screw.




Answer



I have sometimes suspected that my Canon needed some focus fine-tuning, but when I use a tripod and take a picture of a ruler (like this) the focus always turns out to be dead-on; it's my shaking hands or a very shallow depth of field that's making my pictures un-sharp, not the camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...