Monday 28 December 2015

How hard would be photographing a wedding with just prime lens?


I was recently asked to photograph my cousin's wedding - ceremony at the church, some outside shots at the nearby park, maybe some shots at the reception.


Since my photography-related budget is right now quite limited (and all my friends are using Nikons), I'm quite much stuch with what I have right now - which, in terms of equipment, isn't much.


My camera is Canon 350D, with the 50/1.8 lens. I got 2 external flash units (Canon 580 EX and 420 EX), a tripod, a monopod...


I'm wondering if it's even possible to effectivly photograph a wedding with just this - I mostly mean the lens. I almost never miss longer lens - but often I find myself in a situation when I'd kill for some wide ones.


I probably should try to plan some shots for the 50mm lens, but I got no idea how. Those are great for capturing portraits, faces, but - how to get the wedding ceremony spirit?



Answer



It depends on your and the couple's expectations. No expectations? No problems.


As the main shooter in getting high quality shots? Very difficult. Without experience? Pretty much impossible. Though it depends highly on the venue and how it is orchestrated. Outside before and after shots, pose shots, etc. are no problem, but the ceremony and reception are important. You need to get key moments where you are not in control, and having to run backwards/forwards to get the right framing will cost you (and will also be distracting). It's the same reason why wedding photographers use 2 bodies, so they won't waste time to get the right shot. Wide angles are great for telling the story, be it the Ceremony, the first dance, or subsequent festivities. Even if they are okay with portrait-only shots, you'll still be running around a lot or capturing them with deep DoF and cropping away resolution. In the least, it will be very stressful.



If I had one lens and they asked me to be the main photographer, I would decline and recommend some tips on finding a good budget photographer. I think it's a special day and would not want to capture something less than what I know I could do for someone I know. I've seen some horrible wedding pictures.


If you want to learn to do wedding photography, become a second shooter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...