Thursday 9 July 2015

inspiration - How to get back to photography after having a long break?


I recently had to take almost a year long break from photography. Not sure how much I've missed, may be a few new equipment releases or some new technologies. However, I think I am willing and ready to get active in photography again but since I've been inactive for quite a while I am struggling with it. The local communities have all new faces and I don't think at this stage I can restart from zero. I bought a new lens hoping it'll kick me active, but nope!


I know this sounds too stupid, but may be someone out there has been in my shoes and can share his experience with me?



Answer




If you have trouble to get excited, I can understand that you took the option to get some new gear to get kicked into a new creative mood.


Unfortunately, this question needs a very personal answer, so allow me to try to throw a few options out here. I am a on-and-off shooter and take breaks sometimes for a month or more and then find something that kicks me back into the mood.



  1. New gear - you mentioned that already but still - if you find something that really interests you from a challenge or technical point of view this can be really nice - provided that you have a chance to use it properly. Things like lens babies, T/S lenses or pinhole, filters, fish eyes etc can really get one dreaming what one could do with it, but it demands that you can actually apply it where and when you are using it. I normally see a photo shot with an effect first and then try to replicate it - and might get the gear for it.

  2. New inspiration - I found that looking at new books and magazines that showcase others creative work always irks me to try something similar. I am mostly not good enough to replicate things, but I always can find some work that is just a margin away from mine and I want to try to move into that direction because I like what they do, and then try it

  3. Old gear - we spend sometimes a lot of money on it but maybe do not use it. Reading reviews about the gear that I have often shows me examples and fields of usage that I have not used appropriately. It somehow 'guilts' me into using that gear, but often I find that those applications are promising, since the gear is recommended for this specific thing!

  4. New places - If I look at my city's map and see places, restaurants or landscapes that I have not seen before or from where I do not have photos, it makes me think I should go there and take a look at it. The camera comes more along just in case, but I often end up to take at least some interesting shots - since I am interested in the place, not the photo.

  5. New people - similar to point 2, when I talk to others about their work, I get inspired to try something similar or get my own ideas about what was mentioned. If the people around you changed, I would rather consider this an opportunity than anything else.

  6. Downgrade - The risk of too much equipment makes me always think that I am almost too much in control. Going out with a simpler camera or only one lens can be very interesting.

  7. challenges - there are those Photo challenge websites (like http://www.dpchallenge.com/) are something that can get you into gear since they throw you a phrase like "Absurdity" and their deadlines also can give you a small kick to get going.



I guess for myself the object is more important than the picture, and once I find something interesting, the drive to take a photo of it comes along.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...