Friday 24 July 2015

exposure - Why is my Metz 58 AF-2 using long shutter values when my Canon 60D is in Av mode?


About one year ago I bought a Metz 58 AF-2 for my Canon 60D. Because of a lack of free time to experiment with automatic functions, I have used it only in manual mode with other manual flashes, without problem. Those few times I used it in auto-mode (E-TTL 2 w/o HSS) I noticed some problem but I thought I was incompetent in setting it correctly.


The problem is that when the flash is in mode ETTL 2 or ETTL2 HSS (attached on the camera) the shots, sometimes (apparently randomly) are underexposed.


In my last experiment I've noticed a thing that made me suspect about a real hardware problem. If, on the camera, I set the AV (Aperture priority) mode (e.g. to f3.5) and the flash is in the mode I just described, with the parabola oriented toward the ceiling, when I half-press the shutter button, the camera sets an exposure time much too long, between 1 and 2 seconds. Instead, I was expecting that, as it has a very powerful flash attached, it could reduce the exposure time to something like 1/300 and increase the output power of the flash.


These extra-long exposure times are set when I lock the ISO on 125. if I set ISO to AUTO, it reduces the exposure time to 1/60, but increases ISO to 1600... In no way does the camera seems to take in account that there is a 58GN flash attached that could improve the shot.


Anyway the camera is aware that there is a good flash attached, as I see it use the flash-focus-beam, and I can control flash parameters by the camera menu. Also the flash fires when I press the shutter button, but photos are underexposed.



Is this behavior normal? How could I solve it?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...