Tuesday 26 September 2017

equipment recommendation - Is there a 3rd-party Canon intervalometer which will drive both a 7D and a Rebel T3i?


I'm looking to buy an intervalometer for my kit. I have a canon 7D and a T3i, which use incompatible connectors (why, Canon, why?) which means if I buy the Canon units, I need to buy one for each body (oh. that's why, Canon. sigh).


I'm investigating third party intervalometers that have cables where I can buy a single unit to drive both bodies when I want to; Right now, the one that seems to meet my needs best is the Promote Control ( http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html ).


I'm looking for recommendations or alternatives to consider in my research. Is this unit as good as it seems? Are there others that will work for both HDR bracketing and timelapse work and be compatible with both bodies? Any other things to keep in mind or units you might recommend?



Answer



To answer my own question...


I ended up getting a Photix Aion (http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/phottix-aion-wireless-timer-and-shutter-release.html). It's a unit that can be used wireless or wired, and comes with connector cables for both the "pro" style canons (like the 7d) and the consumer style Canon's (like the Txi). I've found it works fine as a remote shutter, for timelapsing and for pretty much any kind of shutter management I've tried so far. I like it (but I don't love it). the UI -- well, make sure you practice with it before heading out.


I also carry a standard Canon wired cable release for the 7D that I use for routine shooting on a tripod.


I've started experimenting with triggertrap, which is a unit that interfaces an IOS device to a camera to control it. It seems nice, but you need to leave your phone connected to the camera. There's a more expensive version called Camranger that can go wireless, and once you set up the timelapse, you can disconnect the IOS device and use it for other things. Looks interesting for serious timelapsing operations, but more than I want to spend right now.


So the AION does what I want. It's under $100. it's a good price and a decent product which works reliably. but I don't love the interface.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...