Monday 4 September 2017

Why does my Canon 50D only have a max burst of 8?


I got my Canon 50D over the summer, and it's been absolutely amazing! When I started taking pictures with it, I seem to recall the max burst number being relatively high in the display. However, for quite a while now, it has been saying 8. It seems to take many more pictures than just 8 before the buffer fills up, though. Is there a problem with the firmware? Am I the only one that's come across this problem here? I shoot only JPEG on high quality, no RAW. I also tend to shoot either using Program, aperture priority, shutter priority, or full manual. Other than this "problem," the camera hasn't given me any trouble. Thanks!


Kyle



EDIT: Just for clarification, I can take many more than 8 pictures on max burst. Also, the 8 only shows up on the Program, Av, Tv, and manual modes.



Answer



I just looked at my 5DmkII. If I set it to 'RAW' it says I have 13 shots, if I set it to 'RAW+JPEG L' it says I have 8 shots. I imagine that number must depend on what setting you have it on.


This was with a SanDisk Extreme 32GB 60MB/s UDMA card.


http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/specifications.html


"JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 78 shots (Approx. 310 shots),
RAW: Approx. 13 shots (Approx. 14 shots),
RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 8 shots (Approx. 8 shots)"


After some digging I found similar info for the 50D:


http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200809/table1.html



It shows 60/16/10 for bursts of JPEG/RAW/RAW+JPEG so its odd that yours says 8...


More info from BobAtkins (http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D_review_6.html): alt text


So your card must not be UDMA.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...